Friday, October 22, 2010

Conflict...desires, discomforts and individual self-absorption

How do you deal with the power of individual motivation when it is in conflict with another individual motivation? Consider the following instance;
There are certain reasons behind certain actions of mine and there are times when it comes in direct conflict with what others desire from me. I stick to my resolution chiefly because at that particular moment, that is the best thing for me. I don't consider it in relation to the past or the future, only in terms of present need. In other words, I simply use my prioritizing skills. If whatever the other person desires from me is either beyond my reasonable capacity to give or appears to be something that can wait, I don't put it before my necessity.
The problem arises when my need conflicts with others' necessity or desire and they are unwilling to graciously accept my decision to do what I need to do.
So now we have a situation where both are equally absorbed in their own needs/opinions and refuse to put it aside to accept the other's needs/opinions.
When two powerful motivations clash, how can it be resolved? And if it is a clash between the needs/discomforts of one person and the desires/expectations of the other, who is right and who is wrong?

No comments: